Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Remote Debugging JBoss in Eclipse

When I’m not thinking about the baby on the way, I’m writing java code for Harris & Baseview. I usually focus on server-side java code using J2EE with jBoss. There are many wars going on in the technology market today, and one of the largest is the IDE war. I’m of the mind developers should be able to use whatever they want, thus the developers will always drive the direction of product development, not the constraints/features of an IDE. For the last year I’ve been using Eclipse for my java development and I’m really falling in love with it. Each release seems to get better and better and its developer community (made up largely of corporate sponsors) are very motivated to keep improving it. One if the things I love the most about it is its remote debugging feature. I usually write code on a Powerbook and I like to run and test the code on a Dual G5 tower in the corner of my cube. Eclipse allows me to remotely debug a JVM on a separate machine, including stepping, tracing and setting breakpoints. I love it. Here are instructions on how to setup JBoss for remote debugging with eclipse. Its that easy!


Of course the other great thing about Eclipse is that its free. That is a benefit especially when JBuilder goes for a measly 5K per seat.


No comments: